Friday, June 17, 2011
X-Men First Class - Movie Review
X-Men First Class is the prequel to the first X-Men movie. This movie gives a lot more information on many X-men and villains including Professor X and Magneto. It tells us the horrible treatment of Magneto (Erik Lehnsherr) in the Nazi concentration camps. It also gives us more information of a younger, girl-crazy Professor X (Charles Xavier). There are a lot of mutants in this X-men movie, but not as many as X-Men Three - The Last Stand.
The movie is about the villain, Sebastian Shaw manipulating the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. in starting a nuclear war. Shaw's ideology, basically, is that through a nuclear war, the humans will destroy each other and produce a huge amount of radiation giving mutants extra power. The X-Men get together to try and stop Shaw and his fellow followers in accomplishing World War III.
I have included a list of the mutants in this movie:
* Professor X (Charles Xavier) - power of telepathy
* Magneto a.k.a. Magnus (Erik Lehnsherr) - power to control and manipulate metal and magnetism
* Beast (Dr. Henry Philip "Hank" McCoy) - power of super-human strength, agility and intelligence
* Havok (Alexander "Alex" Summers) - power to generate powerful plasma blasts
* Azazel - power to teleport and immortality
* Mystique (Raven Darkholme) - power to shapeshift, ages slowly
* Riptide (Janos Quested) - power to spin quickly and project objects, can also produce whirlwinds
* Emma Grace Frost a.k.a. White Queen - power of telepathy, second mutation is power to transfigure into diamond-like figure
* Banshee (Sean Cassidy) - power to produce a sonic-scream, can manipulate his scream to assist in flying
* Darwin (Armando Muñoz) - power to adapt to any environment almost immediately
* Sebastian Hiram Shaw - power to absorb energy and transform it into raw strength
* Angel Salvadore a.k.a. Tempest - power to fly by using her insect like wings, her spit is also acid
The movie, in itself was okay. It was another X-Men movie, so if you like the X-Men, then you will like this movie. It's not corny like many sequels or prequels can be. The effects were also very good especially a flying scene featuring Banshee.
Unlike Thor, this movie did have a lot of cleavage and lots of women walking in very sexy lingerie. The character Emma Frost almost always is in bra and underwear and if she is not wearing that, she is wearing a skin tight leather suit, that shows lots of cleavage. In her diamond form, her breast are augmented considerably. There is also a scene where she is on top of a Russian colonel seducing him wearing only her bra, underwear and pantyhose and he in turn fondles her. There is another scene where Mystique in her human form tries to seduce Erik. He then comes over and kisses her, it is not clear whether they sleep together or not. Erik and Charles Xavier, while recruiting, go into a strip club where a lot of women are dancing half-naked and have a conversation with Angel Salvadore with a lot of sexual innuendos. There are several close up of women's bottoms only wearing underwear. Mystique also has augmented breasts in her mutant form.
The language really isn't bad except for one scene where Wolverine says "F--- Off!" to Erik and Xavier as they try to recruit him.
There are several scenes that involve drinking at bars. There is a bar fight that is pretty graphic and violent.
There is a lot of references to evolution and mutants being the next step in human evolution.
A great talking point in the movie is the line between anger and peace. Xavier constantly tries to help Magneto balance his anger and shows him how anger can suppress the good in us and even erase good and happy memories.
Overall the movie was okay. There are new mutants to see, but the story line does not follow the comic books at all. So any X-men fans will be let down, especially when you see how Xavier becomes crippled.
Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of action and violence, some sexual content including brief partial nudity and language.
Running Time: 132 minutes
My Rating: 6 stars out of 10
Stay mutant and proud!