Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana

I found this recipe in a book my dad gave me a long time ago. The book is called: Top Secret Restaurant Recipes by Todd Wilbur. I just love this soup! There were some different things that I substituted to save money and the soup was still deliciously fabulous. Instead of using heavy cream, I used half and half. I used Walmart brand chicken broth and I didn't use red pepper flakes, but a seasoning of garlic and herbs that I think has some kick to it that I found in my spice cabinet. I also added the garlic part, so if you want to go completely like the recipe at Olive Garden, then skip the garlic. But adding a bit of garlic to any dish isn't going to hurt anyone - well maybe dessert! Total price of everything was way cheaper than it would have been if we had gone out to Olive Garden. Super easy to make and super yummy!

 Ingredients:
2 3/4 Cups of Chicken Stock or Broth
1/4    Cup of heavy Cream
1       Medium russet potato
2       Cups of chopped kale
1/2    Pound spicy Italian sausage
1        Garlic clove (minced)
1/4    tsp salt
1/4    tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1. Combine the stock and cream in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Slice the potato into 1/4-inch slices, then quarter the slices and add to the soup (I removed the peel, you can leave the peel if you would like an earthier taste)
3. Add the kale (it is best not to use the rib on the kale. A rough chop will do. The kale withers with the hot soup.
4. Saute the garlic for 1 minute and then add the sausage. Cook completely and then add to the soup.
5. Add the spices and let the soup simmer for about 2 hours. Stir occasionally.

Yield: 2 Servings or 4 Appetizers


Hope you enjoy. We loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment