Here are the 8:
1. Appetite for food
2. Appetite for sex
3. Appetite for authority and power
4. Appetite for pleasure
5. Appetite for work
6. Appetite for companionship
7. Appetite for fellowship with God
8. Appetite for gained wisdom
Mr. Arterburn gives a list of questions to ask yourself to evaluate yourself. Keep in mind that God DESIGNED us with these appetites and none of them are wrong if done in a healthy manner. These appetites were God-given and if balanced can lead to a very fulfilling and healthy life, but if they are unbalanced or out of God's plan, they can lead to a destructive lifestyle and end up hurting the ones we love and ourselves. Here are the questions to evaluate yourself:
1. What do you naturally have a strong appetite for?
2. How are you feeding that appetite?
3. Is what you are choosing satisfying and healthy for you? If not, what are you using to satisfy yourself?
4. Follow your choices down the road they are leading you on. How far will you go down that other road to satisfy that appetite?
If this self-evaluation leads you to realize that your appetites are not being satisfied in healthy ways and are in fact controlling you, these next questions are for you:
1. Are you ready to give up your unhealthy appetites?
2. Are you willing to learn to fill your healthy appetites as God intended them to be filled?
The hardest part is admitting to oneself that there is a problem. My problem is and continues to be food. I use food to comfort myself. I eat when I am bored, when I am hurt, when I am stressed and just because it's there. I love cooking and trying new cuisines, so it makes it very difficult to not eat my "creations". But I was looking at it all wrong. I shouldn't suppress my appetite for food, I should control it WITH the help of God. A strong will can only get you so far.
The book is a great help and I will be posting other parts of it to help in diverting our attention from our wants to our needs. If you took the self evaluating test and discovered that you have a uncontrolled appetite, I really recommend this book!
I have also included a free website that helps with food, pornography, gambling, alcohol, drugs and sex addictions. Here is the link.
The Apostle Paul: So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.~ 1 Corinthians 10:12-13